Major General Chand N. Das was educated in Government College, Lahore, and received his military training at Royal Military College, Sandhurst, England, and Staff College, Quetta (now in Pakistan).
He was commissioned in the British Indian Army in 1933 and posted as a Subaltern with the Lancashire Fusiliers. He joined the 5 Battalion of the Rajputana Rifles in Razmak in North West Frontier Province in 1934. During his 32 years of service with the Army, he held both Command and Staff appointments at many levels. During World War II, he served in Hongkong, Burma, Italy and Greece and was awarded the Officer Class of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) in recognition of his distinguished service.
The appointments held by him since India’s independence in 1947 included Deputy Director of Military Training, Director of Military Intelligence and Commander of the Saurashtra Brigade.
General Das served as Chairman of the International Commission for Supervision and Control in Cambodia, Indo-China, with the rank of an Ambassador, General Officer Commanding of the famous 5 Indian Division, Military Adviser to the Government of Assam and later General Officer Commanding of Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat areas.
He retired from the Indian Army in 1965 and is now settled in New Delhi.
His other books are Traditions and Customs of the Indian Armed Forces (1984) and History of the Rajputana Rifles, 1947-90. He has also extensively written on military topics for
The Infantry Journal, Sainik Samachar published by the Ministry of Defence in English and eleven Indian languages, and the
Indian Military Collector’s Society Journal, Canada and England